Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Coming Home" - Leon Bridges

We've recently had a whole whack of throwbacks in pop music, from Bruno Mars to Meghan Trainor. But amongst those, I can't remember a single throwback to straightforward 50's-style soul. Thankfully, Leon Bridges is here to remind us how it all began.


It's honestly super-refreshing to hear such a great throwback coming out in 2015. It sounds authentic, rather than an artist just trying on the genre for size. I could actually see this song being played in the 1950's.

It's kind of an odd experience, truth be told. You don't hear throwbacks quite this authentic every day, and I'm not sure what it means for the world of pop. Are we really so desperate for something new that we have to reach back to something so old?

Well, I suppose that can only be determined by how well this song does. Like I said, I don't think I've heard a throwback as authentic as this one since "I Believe in a Thing Called Love". (And if you think that song is anything but awesome, your opinion is wrong.) 

So I guess ultimately we'll just wait the year out and see if this song does anything on the charts. Then we'll see if it starts to become a trend. For now, Leon Bridges made a solid soul song. 50's music isn't really my thing, but regardless it's nice to be blessed with a throwback such as this one every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment