Friday, July 24, 2015

Facemelt Friday: "Budapest" - George Ezra

Note: Apologies for no Wednesday entry this week. Completely slipped my mind, and I will definitely have one up next week. Anyway, back to the show!

So the fundamental problem with my title "Facemelt Friday" is simply that popular rock music these days doesn't really do much face melting. It's more of a mellow coating of aloe vera. Case in point, here's "Budapest" by George Ezra.



What can I say about this? Honestly.

Well... rock music typically has intricate, well-thought-out lyrics... maybe I can take a crack at those!

...this song is very cute. It's a love song.

Okay, so in the song he talks about all of his possessions and how he would leave them all for "you", despite what his family might think. It's a nice sentiment. I just wish there was more emotion put into it.

The production basically just goes through the motions without much thought. It makes me not care as much about the song, or what George Ezra has to go through. If he can't get across his anguish and love, then what am I supposed to fell? Instead, he goes the Phillip Phillips route of just sounding... mellow.

And I'm sorry, but mellowness is just not a trait in music that we need. You can't make good mellow music; have you ever seen any piece of media that was mellow that worked? Have you ever seen a good mellow film? Or watched a full season of a mellow TV show? Hell, even Mello Yello lives in the shadow of Mountain Dew. Because who wants to drink something mellow?

Sorry, George. It's a nice sentiment, as I said, but there just isn't much that you've done with it. I wish I could say more, but I think I'm done with it.. Too bad George Ezra can't emote enough to respond to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment