Sunday, August 16, 2015

"Drag Me Down" - One Direction

One Direction are back!... One Direction never really left.


However, as I type this, One Direction are currently undergoing their biggest loss as a music group, as longtime and beloved member Zayn Malik has left the band. I for one will truly miss Zayn, and all the contributions he has made to the irreplaceable quintet that were One Direction.

...

Zayn's the blond one, right? No? Well, I tried.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, it seems that the members of 1D - which you would only call them if you were a square, which I am - are doing just fine without their departed member, as evidenced by their most recent outing, "Drag Me Down", which they most recently performed earlier this month on Good Morning America. Hey, it's as good a source as any.


As far as I can tell, 1D are experimenting with a new, more mature sound in 2015. I mean, it's not like they've gone full artsy or anything - they still have a member named Harry Styles, you understand - but it still seems like a step in the right direction.

Gone are the directionless (haha) days of being a musical group you could easily confuse with something you'd see on RadioDisney. One Direction have slotted themselves into the Maroon 5 position of still being a bunch of pretty boys, but somehow more mature. And with Adam Levine constantly flaunting his mid-life crisis and becoming increasingly irrelevant in the process, the door is open for acts like these to take over.

And as far as I can tell... they're doing a pretty good job.

One Direction have been going for a more mature sound ever since their Midnight Memories album in 2013, but as far as I'm concerned, this is where they're really starting to shine. I mean, they've got a nice Police-like riff going on there, some nice harmonies - it's coming together rather nicely for them, I'd say.

While One Direction have been involved with some questionable songs, I think that deep down, they are all really good guys - unlike certain other teen idols - and I'm happy to see them adjust well into their later career. Hopefully when the eventual breakup rolls around, they'll all have steady acoustic guitar-driven careers at the pinnacle of their maturity. And Harry Styles will be our next Justin Timberlake.

...what? It could happen! Maybe... nah.

No comments:

Post a Comment