Sunday, October 19, 2014

"Don't" - Ed Sheeran

There was a time when Ed Sheeran came onto the scene as a meek, acoustic-guitar-playing schlub who sang songs about crumbling pastries and Lego houses. But those days are officially gone.



Ed Sheeran is now a pop artist.

While I thought that his sudden transition into pop music with "Sing" was sudden, and I wasn't sure how much I bought it, I feel like this should have been the lead single. It seems like it would be a much smoother transition. It still contains a lot of Ed Sheeran-like soul, but also a lot of pop elements. It's like a mix between his older stuff and "Sing".

Okay, so what's this song about?

Don't fuck with my love

Um... it's about a more aggressive Ed Sheeran, apparently. No more being stuck in someone's daydreams anymore, now it's just straight up "Don't fuck with my love". Isn't this a little like seeing Macaulay Culkin in The Good Son spouting this line?



It just doesn't seem right. But Ed Sheeran makes up for it with a lot of charm in his music. I love that little "Ah la-la-la-la" throughout the chorus.

Anyway, it looks like this new side of Ed Sheeran is the norm, so I'm just going to have to get used to it. And you know what? This song helps. It really does. I can believe Ed Sheeran as Justin Timberlake now after listening to this. So it took two songs, but you've convinced me, Ed. Well done. Now don't... fuck with my opinion again, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment