Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Tuesday" - ILOVEMAKONNEN ft. Drake

Do I love ILOVEMAKONNEN? Well... no...



Granted, this isn't the worst thing I've heard from hip hop this year, not by a long shot. It's got a really nice beat that I'm digging. But it was remixed by Drake, so I can't vouch for Makonnen's credibility in that regard. And as for his vocal performance... meh.

I guess there are bigger crimes a rap or R&B song can commit than just being flat boring... but that's what this song is to me: just completely boring. Other than the beat, there's nothing in this song that I vastly remember. So let's look back at the lyrics.

Club going up on a Tuesday
Got yo girl in the cut and she choosy

This line is repeated three times. I hate hooks like this. They don't evolve into anything; they're just the same thing repeated over again until you get to the verse. That's a waste of time. If you can't think of something to have on the hook, then don't have one! It would actually be really refreshing to hear a rap song without a hook. But this song isn't refreshing. Not the worst thing I've heard this year, but certainly something I'm not exactly pining to hear again.

Hot 100 Success:

Will he have it?

I don't know if Drake's enough to carry this song. Maybe it'll scratch the Top 50, but I can't see it going much farther than that.

Should he have it?

Ehh... I don't think so. Again, not the worst I've heard, but just really boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment