Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Girl in a Country Song" - Maddie & Tae

Ahem...

THIS IS THE COUNTRY SONG THAT WE NEED RIGHT NOW!



Oh. My. God. This is such a necessary song in our world of music today that I'm surprised it wasn't made sooner. I'm not even speaking as a girl here, I'm speaking as a guy sick of the same old bullshit that every single country song is about now. Now we just need a few more songs criticizing the state of country these days. Maybe "Truck in a Country Song", or "Beer in a Country Song"? One can dream, can't they?

Buuut I suppose this song can make the most use of the material they're provided. For example, did you guys know that there is literally a country song called "Get Me Some of That"?



Yep, that one was special enough to be referenced in this song by title.

Tell me one more time, "you gotta get you some of that"
Sure I'll slide on over, but you’re gonna get slapped 

Oh my God, please slap every single douchey country artist today. It would be so satisfying.

And that's what this song is: Satisfying. Hell, it would be satisfying if it was about apple pie. That's how bad country music has gotten: singing a song about dessert would probably be a better alternative to what we usually get. But this song isn't about that. Rather, it's about the same things that all country songs are about... only in a totally different way. It's told from the perspective of the girl with the long tanned legs in the Daisy Dukes and bikini top... wait, wasn't this also a Katy Perry song? Whatever.

This is the first song I've heard to finally call out all the bullshit of bro-country in such a direct manner. And admittedly, this might be a little hard to listen to if it wasn't so much fun to listen to. This song jams, actually a lot more so than most bro-country songs, so there's really no case you can make against it. Yeah, baby!

I'd like to call out more specific lyrics that I enjoy, but I'd rather you just listen to the song and watch the video yourself and see this masterpiece firsthand. I'll just skip right to the big questions:

Hot 100 Success:

Will they have it?

Sadly, I don't think mainstream America is as sick of country music as I am. I don't know how well this will fare on the charts, but hopefully the jaded ladies of country can team up and get this one to top them.

Should they have it?

Hell yes. This song should be the country smash hit of 2014. But only time will tell as to when that actually happens. Hopefully soon! I'm rooting for ya, Maddie & Tae.

No comments:

Post a Comment