Friday, October 3, 2014

Flashback Friday: "I Need to Know" - Marc Anthony (2000)

Okay, Enrique Iglesias's popularity? That made sense.



He was sweet, and charming, and sexy, I guess. Being a straight guy, I'm not the best judge, but I assume that's where most of his appeal came from.

Ricky Martin's popularity? That made sense.



He was goofy, and he had enough likability. That's usually enough to warrant popularity.

Marc Anthony's popularity? Uh... someone help me out here.



Was this really a big hit back in the early 2000's? This guy, and this song, have no personality. In fact, I'm going to search for any reason as to why this guy might have been in the public eye in the early 2000's.

Uh... the Lopez romance was moreso mid-2000's, so... I got nothin'. Well, maybe he's got a strong following with his Spanish-speaking listeners? How good were those songs?

Okay, his Spanish songs were pretty good. But this one's still lame.

It's so... boring. It doesn't have Enrique's charm, Ricky's kitsch, or J. Lo's... uh, booty. It just sort of meanders along, not bothering to create a personality for itself. Damn you, song! Create a personality for yourself!

Here's what I need to know: Why does "I need to know" need to be repeated six times in the chorus? Is it really that urgent that you need to hammer it into our heads like this?

Look, I'm all for the Latin pop scene. There was nothing objectively wrong with it. But for God's sake, you still have to try. This song doesn't try. And I need to know why it got a free pass, cause it sure as hell didn't deserve one.

No comments:

Post a Comment