Tuesday, March 17, 2015

CanTunes Tuesday: "I Really Like You" - Carly Rae Jepsen

Carly Rae Jepsen in 2015.


Tom Hanks in a Carly Rae Jepsen video in 2015. Why... oh, god why.

He's lip-syncing to her lyrics... he's... dancing with her... okay, what is this?! Why did this happen?!

Okay... let's look at a brief history of the musical career of Carly Rae Jepsen.

Carly Rae was on Canadian Idol in Season 5, in which she placed 3rd, only to the mega Canadian superstars we know and love today, like... Brian Melo and... Jaydee Bixby. Hmm. The difference is, Carly Rae had a hit.


A smash hit, in fact. "Call Me Maybe" was without a doubt the most popular song of the summer of 2012. And, looking back, for good reason. It was an insanely catchy song with a fun little story that didn't require you to think too hard.

Before you came into my life 
I missed you so bad

Okay, admittedly I still scratch my head with that one. Anyway, Carly Rae went on to have a few more homegrown hits, plus a collaboration with Owl City. And come 2012, that seemed like the end of Carly Rae's journey as a hitmaker. But now... she's back.

I really really really really really really like you

Okay, Carly Rae. You've officially crossed the line of banality. There is no turning back from this.

Despite the brainless chorus, actually, it's a pretty good song for me. It retains all the catchiness and charm of "Call Me Maybe", and it's honestly a pretty sincere love message. Well, "like" message. Honestly, the more girly Carly Rae gets, the more she succeeds, despite the fact that she's 29. Yeah. Doesn't look like it, eh? Surprised me too.

Well, there's honestly not much to say about this song, but it gets a thumbs up from me. If we need a little more cuteness in Canada, then I'll take Carly Rae gladly.

No comments:

Post a Comment