Friday, March 13, 2015

Flashback Friday: "Special Lady" - Ray, Goodman & Brown (1980)

Today, we're going to take things down a notch. That's right, we're going back to 1980, where the trio Ray, Goodman & Brown had their hit, "Special Lady"! How special was it? Well, let's find out.


So, a little history first. Before Ray, Goodman & Brown were Ray, Goodman & Brown, they were The Moments. The Moments had a few successful moments in the mid-70's, with hits like "Sexy Mama" and "Look at Me (I'm in Love)". Not exactly a deathmetal group we're dealing with here. Pretty cheesy stuff overall. And "Special Lady" is too!

I mean, they're mumbling to each other what they need to do in order to make the song sound better. Boys... you should have figured that out beforehand.

Eh, this song's one gigantic cheeseball when it all comes down to it, but I do think it has its charms. The harmonies on the chorus are very nice, and I like how it starts and ends a capella. Besides, at least these guys have charm. There's a lot of early 80's cheese that I wish would just go away already, but for whatever reason, these guys didn't stick around. life is cruel. Well, I hope that lady you're singing about sure feels special. I probably would.

No comments:

Post a Comment