Sunday, March 8, 2015

"Truffle Butter" - Nicki Minaj ft. Drake and Lil Wayne

Looks like Nicki Minaj is still aiming for chart success in 2015! How's that working out for her?


Well, her song "Only" failed to crack the Top 10, so it's no "Anaconda". But maybe she'll have more success with her newest hit single, "Truffle Butter". Okay, that's a euphemism for something, and I'm not really keen on figuring it out.

...okay, thank you Urban Dictionary. I don't think this enhances my enjoyment of the song whatsoever.


So "Truffle Butter" is yet another Nicki Minaj collaboration with Drake and Lil Wayne. It starts off with this sample of Maya Jane Coles' "What They Say", and then Drake starts with his verse.

Uh, thinkin' out loud
I must have a quarter million on me right now

How exciting, another cash money hoes song.

Hard to make a song 'bout something other than the money

I... okay, this lyric infuriates me. No, man. It's not hard. Kendrick does it all the time. Lupe does it all the time. If you're such a great rapper, why is it so hard for you to change the subject matter every blue moon?! I mean, maybe it's hard to make a rap song about something else and stay wildly popular. But THAT couldn't be your reasoning, could it? Gag me.

Okay, so he does some sort of Kanye West-inspired thing in the next few lyrics (HUUUH?) and... I don't know, what else has he got?

I could probably make some stepsisters fuck each other

...

WHACK JOB. WHACK JOB ALERT.

Seriously, dude. Why would you... even if they're not... that's just gross! And I was beginning to like you too Drake. Talk about going from 100 to 0. Okay, Nicki's verse.

Yo, thinkin' out loud
I must have about a milli on me right now

I kind of like how Drake has a quarter of the money Nicki has in the context of this song. That's honestly pretty funny.

Nicki's verse mostly deals with her dominance as a female rapper, and how basically no other female rappers can touch her. Now see, there's a more interesting subject than money, and less disturbing than... making stepsisters... fuck each other. Can't get over that one, I gotta say. Some of the lyrics are a little off the mark, but overall a far better offering than Drake this time around.

And finally, we have to talk about this Lil Wayne fella.

Uh, thinkin' out loud
I could be broke and keep a million dollar smile

...


Judge as you may, you judgmental Internet weirdos.

Lil Wayne's verse mostly deals with the raunchy, gross sex talk that he usually offers in a song. Not much to offer here, but honestly it's about on par from what I expect from Lil Wayne, so I'll put this one above Drake's verse too.

Overall, the song's just okay. A few killer lyrics here and there, mostly from Minaj, but the sample is honestly not that interesting and they don't do much with it, and Drake's verse just kills the momentum before it can begin. Also, this song made me look up "truffle butter", which is another strike against it. Seriously, gross. Why are there terms for this shit?

No comments:

Post a Comment