Tuesday, March 31, 2015

CanTunes Tuesday: "No Way No" - MAGIC!

No way! No!

Thank you, thank you. That joke was brought to you by the very limited scope of my brain.


Okay, but seriously: why do these guys still keep having hits here? Their songs range from intolerable to inoffensively bland. I haven't actually liked a single one of their songs, and I'm certainly not about to start now! What is this "No Way No"? Probably just another whiny song about Nasri's refusal to accept that some people (like me) just don't like him...

Will I ever be too far away when you feel alone? (No way, no)
Will I ever back down my sword to protect our home? (No way, no)

Huh. That's interesting. I see he's still got a patriarchal, somewhat outdated view on things, but at least he's using those powers for good. And... if I'm being honest, "Rude" really wasn't all bad.


My main problem with the song was Nasri himself, and the whiny, douchey persona he put on. The music was actually pretty nice. That's true on their single, "Let Your Hair Down", too. So I guess I was just waiting for Nasri to smarten up and do something I like. Well... congratulations, this is a step forward.

He still has this whiny persona that seeps in a time or two...

So please don't blame me, blame me
For trying to be the one who could have it all

Geez, you rewriting "Grenade" there Nasri? Show a little humility.

But honestly, I don't think it's a prevalent problem and it doesn't ruin the song for me. Now on the other hand, I don't think this song is amazing. But... it's decent. I can safely say that I like it. And if MAGIC! continues on this path, I might even grow to like them. Just like... well, magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment