Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "White Noise" - PVRIS

You know, I've kind of had a thing for rock bands with a female lead. Every one I've heard I think I've liked. Yes, even Evanescence, you purists. Anyway, today we get one more of those with PVRIS, pronounced "Paris" in case you were wondering. Here's their third single from their debut full-length album, "White Noise".


Huh. Well... this isn't that great.

Man, I was really excited to cover one of these artists, but... this really fell flat for me, for the most part. It starts out nice, kind of has this Metric vibe to it. I really like the singer's voice, too. But then the chorus kicks in...

I'M WATCHIIIIIING
I'M WAITIIIIIING

..and ugh, it just hits you in the face full force with blasts of music and it's really unpleasant. There's no buildup to it, it just goes quiet and then boom. Right in the face.

And the worst part is, the blast of full-force music at the chorus sounds so... generic. I could have expected this from any no-name alt rock band with a female lead, and I was really digging the song up until that point.

There is also a nice moment at the end where the music is just slowly playing out, and if it had just ended there the song might have been salvageable. But no, it just went right into the chorus again, just like... well, any pop song. Good thing you followed the structure guys, or I might have mistakenly dubbed you "edgy".

There's good parts in this song, but there have been far more interesting female-fronted rock bands in music history. There's really no need for a band willing to take little risk with their sound like this.

Hot 100 Success:

Will they have it?

This sort of sound isn't the type that gets popular on Billboard at all, despite the attempts to make it fit in with the mold. I don't foresee a bright Billboard future for them, no.

Should they have it?

I'd give it to many other bands sooner than I would this one. There's a lack of rock on the charts these days, true, but I'm not really willing to save a spot for these guys. Sorry. At the end of the day, it is just white noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment