Sunday, April 26, 2015

"Want to Want Me" - Jason Derulo

Yeah, um... Jason Derulo isn't going away, and I really want him to.



You would think that after inflicting his terrible, terrible music on so many people, he would eventually take a break from the business. Does anyone honestly still like listening to this guy? He's an atrocity of a musician!

But as the charts continually prove, we value stupid music and stupid performers. So really, why shouldn't Jason Derulo get another hit? Why shouldn't we allow him to still stay relevant in 2015? Why not? Bring it on, I say! Bring on the stupidity! This is "Want to Want Me".



Oh God, do I wish. No, here's the real song.



Oh yeah, I bet this is just going to be another dumb song about how he wants you to shake your ass and he loves it when you get undressed and yada yada yada just get on with it. I'm expecting an incompetent beat to go along with it, of course.

...

...actually, this doesn't sound that bad. In fact, it's almost okay. Even Derulo's voice, while still not great, is tolerable. Which is weird, because I usually can't stand it when he sings in his high register. (See "Trumpets" above.) But for this song, it works for me. Maybe it's because the lyrics aren't as sleazy. I mean, ultimately, he still wants sex, but it's done in a more tasteful way.

You open the door
Wearing nothing but a smile

Ha ha, see? There's something slightly more subtle than

Every time that you get undressed
I hear symphonies in my head

Euuugh.

I don't know, I still don't think this is a particularly great song. But it's certainly one of the better Derulo songs I've heard. The song sounds very competent to me, which is a step up from a lot of Derulo's work. Is it enough to be considered a good song? Probably not, but you know, if Derulo keeps improving, he just might miss the cut on one of my Top 30 lists one year or something. Yeah, I rank all the songs of every year. Don't you? No? Um... I'll see myself out.

No comments:

Post a Comment