Tuesday, April 21, 2015

CanTunes Tuesday (Flashback): "The Circle is Small (I Can See it in Your Eyes)" - Gordon Lightfoot (1978)

Gordon Lightfoot, everybody! Canadian icon, beloved musician, amazing songwriter... not one of my personal favourites.


There's nothing objectively bad about his music. It just doesn't do much for me. As far as folk rock goes, I much prefer listening to Bob Dylan, also a brilliant songwriter of the time and a more interesting musician to me, or Bruce Cockburn, who I think has a little more charm.

That said, this song is pretty good. It's got an energy to it that is present throughout the song that gets me pretty happy. It's nice and bouncy. I like the guitar in the song, and even the vocals, which seem very Dylan-esque.

And now what is this happy-sounding song about?

It's alright for some, but not alright for me
When the one that I'm lovin' slips around

Wait a minute... this song is about cheating? Well, you could have fooled me. In fact, you did!

Wow. I feel... duped. Cheated, even. This song doesn't sound like it should be about cheating, but it is. Hmm. Maybe I should look back at other Lightfoot songs and se if they're really about what I first theorized.

...Okay, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" is indeed about a ship. It's probably just this song that tripped me up. Oh well. That only means I need to keep my ears wide open and really listen for the lyrics in a song before I make snap judgements! Thanks for teaching me a lesson, Gordon Lightfoot. This was a really useful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment