Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Marvin Gaye" - Charlie Puth ft. Meghan Trainor

Marvin Gaye has inspired many an artist with his beautiful, soulful music.



Yes, he's charmed the panties off of many a gal with hits like "Let's Get it On" and "Sexual Healing". So it's only natural that the sex-crazed youth of today are more than willing to involve his name in their music. Enter Charlie Puth, a newcomer who's released his debut single, named after the soul singer.



"Let's Marvin Gaye and get it on." Well... that's a reference, indeed. So, how well does it fit into the song?

Well... the song definitely invokes the slower side of Marvin Gaye, but not really the sexier side. In fact, it's kind of a cute-sounding song, like... I don't know, Sara Bareilles. What I'm saying is, it's not exactly worthy of invoking the Marvin Gaye name, and certainly not worthy of these lyrics:

Let’s Marvin Gaye and get it on
You got the healing that I want
Just like they say it in the song

Yes. Like they say it in the song. The much better song. The song that I should honestly be listening to right now! But no, you give me a song using these lyrics with a beat as limp as... well, the sexual innuendo I'm about to make. Actually, a non-sexual innuendo, because there's nothing sexy about this song.

You can't just take a classic artist's name and expect to gain credibility from it. MKTO did that and all they managed to do was piss me off! This song isn't as bad as that one, since it's clearly more focused - I mean, the lyrical content invokes sex. It's just that nothing else about the song does.

I just don't believe the sexual prowess that either Charlie Puth or Meghan Trainor claim to have. It's like a One Direction member and Selena Gomez singing this song. It just doesn't work.

So this song doesn't do a thing for me. The video's fine, I guess - I like that they have gay couples in there. But the song is just bland. If I didn't understand English, there's no way I could tell you that this song was about sex. And that's a big problem! The mood of the song should invoke the idea, not just the lyrical content! Unfortunately, that's all that's happening here, and it doesn't give me much hope for Charlie Puth's credibility as a sex god or as an artist with any semblance of personality. Sorry, just... you can't throw Marvin Gaye's name around like that. Don't touch him unless you know what you're doing with him. That's all.

Hot 100 Success:

Will he have it?

I think the year 2015 is shaping up to be too interesting to allow someone like Charlie Puth in there. Meghan Trainor isn't exactly a saving grace, so I don't see much hope for the kid, honestly.

Should he have it?

The kid's a passable singer, but he just doesn't have the personality to back up his voice. Maybe with a little time in the spotlight he can develop something, but based on this? He needs to refine his star quality before he steps into the big leagues. Sorry, Charlie Puth, but I'm Nickelbacking and turning this off. Can that be a phrase people use? Please say yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment