Sunday, April 12, 2015

"See You Again" - Wiz Khalifa ft. Charlie Puth

In November 2013, Fast & Furious actor Paul Walker died from a car accident. His death was sudden and unexpected, and still comes as a shock to fans everywhere. His last movie appearance, Furious 7, was recently released and with it comes a soundtrack. Let's look at one of the songs from it, "See You Again".


That's "See You Again" by Wiz Khalifa featuring Charlie Puth. Two artists who I've had less than an adequate taste for, but hey, I could be surprised.

Now, if I'm being totally honest here, tribute songs are generally not the most interesting songs. They're usually slow and morose, which is fine, of course. Honestly, when I review a song like this, I don't really count merit on the song itself, but rather what it does as a tribute. And since the song appears in a movie, I can also take it from that angle. So let's see.

It's been a long day without you my friend
And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again

The song actually takes on a hopeful tone, that the living and the dead will one day see each other again. Charlie Puth's take on it actually comes from a stronger place than one might think. He connects the song to a friend of his who also died in a car crash, making him the perfect choice to sing the chorus.

As far as paying tribute to Walker goes, Wiz Khalifa stays vague enough that it can be interpreted in multiple ways, but also rings true to the character he plays in the movie, who goes off to start a family at the end.

How could we not talk about family when family's all that we got?

It really helps to connect the song to Walker and his character. So the song works as both a tribute to Walker and as a song in the movie. Overall, it does its job and I can't discourage either artist to badly. It's a fitting tribute to an iconic actor. RIP Paul Walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment