Tuesday, March 3, 2015

CanTunes Tuesday: "Never Be Alone" - Shawn Mendes

Shawn Mendes: can the kid just go away already?



I don't think anything about him is interesting or compelling, other than his ability to mangle "r" sounds more cringeworthily than Ariana Grande. The kid's just a marble-mouthed passable singer who doesn't make interesting music. The closest he got was "Something Big", and honestly now that I think about it, that song sounds like every party jam that comes out of Canada.

I just don't think there's much to the guy. And he's confirmed my accusations with his newest single, "Never Be Alone", in which he tries on the "Ed Sheeran" brand of music.



Now, while Ed Sheeran is pretty masterful at writing these kinds of songs, with intricate metaphors and what have you, I can't really say the same for Mendes over here. Every line is just dull in this.

I promise that one day I'll be around
I'll keep you safe
I'll keep you sound

Wait a minute! "One day" you'll be around? Why aren't you around now? Anything?

Right now it's pretty crazy
And I don't know how to stop or slow it down

With this song? Because it's doing a pretty good job at slowing my heart rate and putting me into a coma.

This song's not only boring, but something's off about this. You can't write a song about not being able to stop or slow it down if that's exactly what you're doing! Say what you will about other acoustic ballads, at least it makes sense why they're slow. This... this is slowly becoming downright incompetent.

And that's all I have to say about this. It's mediocre in all ways possible. Definitely not a song I'll remember tomorrow, and not really one that deserves to be remembered. When One Direction are writing better acoustic ballads than you, it's time to start over and try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment