Tuesday, April 29, 2014

CanTunes Tuesday: "Chills" - Down With Webster

Ah, Down With Webster. What can I say about Down With Webster?



I'll start by saying that Down With Webster are an enjoyable band to me. For the most part, they don't seem to take themselves too seriously, yet they can usually pull off a serious song when they do one. But sometimes... they don't.



This is "Jessica", and it is by a country mile their worst song. Totally muddled in its tone, and as a result it comes off as stupid, bro-douchey, and lllaaaaammmmeeee. I always get so put off by this line in particular:

I want your best friend, I need your best friend
We can be best friends, but I want your best friend

Wow. That's... that's the line you're going with, huh buddy? Next time just stick with "it's not you, it's me".

I never know how seriously I'm supposed to take this song, and that presents a problem for me. It also questions my faith in the band (I take my music religiously). Can they pull off another serious song? Here to answer that question is their latest song, "Chills".



Finally! A Canadian song we can actually be proud of!

So the one thing with Down With Webster is that when they write songs about girls, they always seem endlessly fascinated by them.

"She's Dope": Girl you're a star, attention is nothing new to you

"Your Man": I saw you again when I was sober and I had a crush like an empty soda can

Not only is that their strong suit, it's also partly why "Jessica" didn't work. Down With Webster songs are monogamous. They might be goofballs overall, but they tend to stick to one girl, not leave one for another on a whim. "Chills" reinforces that idea.

These chills didn't come from the cold
They came from you

I just wish that they didn't release this song right after a long, cold, blustery winter. Bad memories of Winter 2014, people. Bad memories... but that's pretty much the only problem I have with this song. Camm's always a joy to hear as he turns clichés on their heads:

I mean this in the best way when I tell you that you're cold as hell
That makes no sense

Okay, here's what I really, really enjoy about Down With Webster: They not only have little to no game, they openly admit that they have little to no game. You have so many rappers these days thinking that they're hot stuff, and then they use pickup lines like these:

2 Chainz: Dos Cadenas, close to genius
Sold out arenas, you can suck my penis

I would much rather... wait, say again 2 Chainz?

Sold out arenas, you can suck my penis

Ohh god. I should have spent more time on "Talk Dirty". Anyway, I would much rather hear somebody awkwardly talking to a girl like this, almost to the point of getting starstruck. It's more realistic, and more relatable. And Down With Webster's "Chills" is just what you need for that down-to-earth feeling.

Again, I just wish that I didn't have to hear "Chills" so soon after a terrible winter. Minor nitpick, but it's better than the major nitpicks I've had with other Canadian songs so far. I'm finally excited for the future of Canadian music! What else is popular over here that I can review?



...

Why do I even bother?

No comments:

Post a Comment