Tuesday, April 1, 2014

"We Might Be Dead By Tomorrow" - Soko

Today, I'm going to review a song that is taking the population of America by storm. A song so revolutionary that it has topped the charts for twenty consecutive weeks!

April Fools.


Yeah, so this song happened. It went to #9 on the charts for one week and disappeared into oblivion the next. But that gives it grounds to be reviewed here, therefore so be it!

I can kind of see why this song was only popular for one week, but at the same time I can't really see why it was ever popular at all. Not that it's a bad song; it's just very offbeat, probably the most offbeat pop hit I've heard in years. So how did this end up happening, anyway?

I'll tell you how: this video.


Yep, viral streaming strikes again. It happened with "Harlem Shake", it happened with "The Fox", and it happened briefly with "We Might Be Dead By Tomorrow". The difference is, at least this song is actually good.

I mean, it's not excellent, but it's good. It's very weird though. Not really the song itself, but just the fact that it briefly shared a spot on Billboard with this:


and this:


Hell, even this:


These are all kind of strange pop hits in their own way, but I can still see them fitting into the mold of pop music today... for better or for worse (got my eye on you, Derulo. Don't think I'll forget you when this year is over.) But "We Might Be Dead By Tomorrow"? No, I just can't see it. Maybe it's too soft for a pop song these days? I can actually kind of see this fitting in more with early 2013, when people cared about Ed Sheeran. Then again, it's not like it stayed for long. It's also not as though the song itself is why it became popular. It was that "First Kiss" video. This is where I think I see a problem with Billboard's system right now. The song is not the focal point of the video; it's an accessory.

Regardless, as broken as the system may be, it's worth it if I get to hear something different from reviewing these songs. It a sweet, yet dark, song. Apparently is was inspired by Soko's father's death, and as far as I can tell, it's a call out in general for people to start loving each other.
.
I don't want to judge
What's in your heart
But if you're not ready for love
How can you be ready for life?

I can forgive the somewhat elitist attitude I think this song gives off, because I think it was unintentional. This is simply a song full of passion for... passion. And love for love. Feeling joyous about joy.

'Cause soon enough we'll die

And therein lies the dark turn. Yeah, it's a simple song. But sometimes, a simple song is just what you need... for a video with strangers kissing each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment