Thursday, April 10, 2014

Top 5 Thursday: Top 5 Lady Gaga Videos

Welcome to Top 5 Thursday! Now I've noticed that in more than a few of my reviews, I come off as excessively negative and pessimistic. So here's a segment where I will always stress positivity! Well, not really. I could do something like "Top 5 Reasons Justin Bieber Needs to Jump Off a Cliff", but it's still a fun segment for me to do. So without further ado, let's talk about Lady Gaga's music videos.


If there's one music artist out there still treating the music video with some dignity, it's Gaga. You could argue that Katy Perry or Miley Cyrus are worth mentioning in this medium, but they still pale in comparison to what Gaga has done. Basically, what they're doing now is playing catch-up, and they've still got a lot of work to do before that happens.

Now, Gaga has good and bad videos. This week I'll be focusing on the good, but I might focus on the bad sometime later. Who knows? Anything can happen, just like... well, a Gaga video. Let's get right down to it! Here are my Top 5 Gaga videos.

5. "Born This Way"


Lady Gaga's got a lot of videos that seem to be weird for weirdness's sake. Most of the time, those don't work for me. But this video works for me just because the weirdness mostly comes from the "birth" image, which works because, well, the song's called "Born This Way". This video also has a lot of dancing in it, so it had better be choreographed well. And I think it is.

4. "The Edge of Glory"


Weirdness can work just fine, but sometimes you just need a video that captures the mood of the song in a simple way. "The Edge of Glory"s video does this really well. I love the lighting, the outfit, and the setting. It doesn't hurt that I also love the song.

3. "G.U.Y."


I only looked at the shortened version of this, because after "Marry The Night"s 13 minutes of nothing, I was nearly Gaga'ed out. Thank God I stuck through it to the end, because this is a fantastic piece of work. It fits the mood of the song perfectly, for starters. Lady Gaga prides herself on being a sex queen, and this video certainly gets the job done by being sexy as all hell, providing eye candy for both G.U.Y.s and G.I.R.L.s. (I had to.) It's a good kind of ridiculous, topped off with Mr. Dreamboat in the cloud.


2. "Judas"


This video is proof that I looked at the videos for the list, rather than the songs, because I greatly dislike "Judas" the song. I think it's a bad remake of "Bad Romance" that comes off as annoying and over-the-top, and not in the good way. But I do have to give the video credit for what it is, because it does relate to the song extremely well. It has some of the best, most relevant imagery and symbolism that a Gaga video has ever had. Also, like "Born This Way", it has great choreography.

1. "Bad Romance"


To understand Lady Gaga videos, you have to go back to "Bad Romance". And to understand why I hate certain Lady Gaga videos, you have to go back to "Bad Romance". Because some videos that have tried to be another "Bad Romance" have failed, because Gaga didn't seem to understand what made "Bad Romance" work. It wasn't because it was strange; it was because the strangeness worked. In songs that are more poppy with less of a creepy edge, the creepy, strange imagery just won't work. But "Bad Romance" rocks the song to the next level. It's beautifully, wonderfully disturbing, from Gaga's bath house to the burnt corpse. Fantastic.

And that's my Top 5 Lady Gaga videos! Tune in tomorrow for a... familiar segment.

No comments:

Post a Comment