Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "She Looks So Perfect" - 5 Seconds of Summer

I honestly never thought we'd come to a time when a potential pop hit would be a commercial for American Apparel underwear. And you know what? I'm not even mad about it.



When I saw these pretty boys and their band name and the song title, I thought that this could be anything from a sappy love ballad to... a sappy love ballad. In other words, I wasn't expecting a pop rock revival.

Lately, we've had indie rock hits here and there, but pop rock has died off, most likely thanks to Hot Chelle Rae, one of the worst bands I've heard in recent memory. But maybe these guys from New Zealand are the ones to bring it back.

I'm not even going to lie: I think this song is awesome. Is it goofy? Almost offensively so, yes. But it's so much fun as well. It has a beating pulse that's bound to beat right out of the wrist. Every time they go "heeeey, hey", I'm tempted to sing along. Of course, it would sound pretty strange to do so with headphones in, but that's the curse of living with other people.

I'm honestly not even sure what else to say here. I've spent so much time lately reviewing stuff I hate that I'm kind of floored when I hear something I really, really like. If you're going to do a silly pop song, this is how you do it. Heeeey, hey!

Billboard Success:

Will they have it?

Could go either way. They're good-looking enough for the shallower pop music listeners, but I'm not sure if people are quite ready for pop rock to come back. 

Should they have it?

Yes. For the love of God, yes. I don't have anything against Bastille or Lorde, but we need a good silly song in there to balance out the seriousness and bad silly songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment