Sunday, April 13, 2014

"Turn Down for What" - DJ Snake & Lil Jon

Someone help me. What angle do I take with this?



What do I say? What do I do? What have I gotten myself into? Ohh, brother.

All right... this is DJ Snake.

He produced Lady Gaga's Born This Way album, earning him a Grammy nomination. Not that anyone really watches the Grammys, but it's still worth noting. Somewhat.

He's also remixed quite a few songs, including Duck Sauce's "It's You" and Kanye West's "New Slaves". And today, he makes his mark on the Billboard Hot 100 with a credit to his name. Featuring Lil Jon, it's

TURN DOWN FOR WHAT?!?

Thanks, Lil Jon. Well, I guess I can start my review off by saying that this really, really isn't my style of music. Like, not even a little. It's not that I don't like hip hop or electronic music. But trap's combination of the two? It's just not my thing. Most of the time, it's too harsh for me without any substance in the lyrics (well, if there are any) or music. I mean, you remember my hatred of "Harlem Shake". My bitter, bitter, hatred of "Harlem Shake". I think I left out quite a few adjectives, actually. Well, "Harlem Shake" isn't really indicative of the problems I have with trap music. "Harlem Shake" is in a league of its own on badness. If I wanted to hear a zipper opening and closing repeatedly, I would do it myself. And don't get me started on that stupid trend. Oh my god that trend why does society hate me- *cough* Moving on.

So, back to trap music in general. If I don't think there's any substance, does that mean I think all instrumental music is bad? Well, I do usually like to have lyrics with my music, but I think instrumental can stand on its own sometimes. Hell, even silence can stand on its own sometimes. So, what's the deal here? Why can't I find meaning in trap music?

Well, despite instrumentals not having any lyrics, good ones still manage to convey a mood. However, the only mood I get from "Turn Down for What" and other songs like it are "I'M IN THE CLUB, I'M IN THE CLUB, I'M IN THE CLUUU-UB". It doesn't sound like a club I'd particularly want to go to, either. See, picture that one dickhead you know that's always going out and getting wasted or blazed, and never contributing to society. That's all I can picture when I hear this type of music.

Maybe I'm just not cut out for reviewing this song, and god damn it, that makes me mad, especially when I'm implying that Lil Jon of all people is too cerebral for my tastes.



Lil Jon is an artist I've had a tolerate/loathe relationship with. I think I can only really appreciate him if I'm in the right mood. Like, if I'm depressed, then no, Lil Jon is not going to help me out of it by screaming "GET OUTTA YOUR MIND" in my ear. But if I'm in a party mood? Yeah, I wouldn't mind him. However, I will say this: "Turn Down for What" is the worst use of Lil Jon I've heard since "Do You Remember".


Do you remember? Well, this is a song where I won't blame you if you don't. It was released by Jay Nobody and really ended up going nowhere. But the worst crime this song committed was having Lil Jon on the track. Somehow, Jay Yawn's quasi-swagger just didn't match up with Lil Jon screaming "YEAH, ALRIGHT, BRING IT BACK!" Hey, speaking of "YEAH", there was a great Lil Jon song.

But anyway, "Turn Down for What" fails with Lil Jon for a different reason: Lil Jon sounds like a guest on the track, rather than taking over the track, which is what he's good at. Reducing him to interjecting only every minute ruins the essence of Lil Jon and his masterful work. YEAAAYUH!

And maybe if the music was interesting, that'd be one thing... but instead of being interesting for me, it's just loud, harsh and obnoxious. It's not really changing up the music so much as tossing what's already been done into a blender. The question is: Will it blend? Well, no. No, it doesn't.

I'm done with this. If you like this type of music, I won't hold it against you. In fact, I might even respect you for seeing something that I don't. But... what? What do you see? Show me. Please.

TURN DOWN FOR WHAT?!?

Turn down for what? Turn down for some more enjoyable music, please. I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment