Saturday, November 22, 2014

"Blank Space" - Taylor Swift

The Taylor Swift pop saga continues.



Taylor Swift's album 1989 has been, in my opinion, by far her best one. "Shake it Off" was a Taylor Swift song I liked. This is a Taylor Swift song that I love. In fact, this might be my favourite Taylor Swift song.


Finally, I sense some self-awareness with this girl! Hell, even some sarcastic humour to go with it. Rather than back down from her perceived persona like she's done in the past, Swift appears to have finally relented and taken the jabs at her in stride. And you know what? She's now produced some of the most introspective music I've heard from her.

I've heard Taylor Swift get self-aware before, but never to this degree. This song details all the assumptions made about her in such a tongue-in-cheek fashion.

Got a long list of ex-lovers
They'll tell you I'm insane

She admits vulnerabilities in her stardom; she knows that her image isn't perfect. She knows what kind of nasty things are being said about her. And she rolls with it this time around.

'Cause you know I love the players
And you love the game

She admits that maybe she's going for the wrong guys some of the time. (I mean, one of them was John Mayer. At that point, it's time to wake up and smell the coffee.) But the song is also done in a very sarcastic tone which suggests that just because she knows what's being said about her, doesn't mean she cares.

I don't fully buy that she's impervious to criticism (hell, read that article above for one good example of the contrary). But this song proves that she can at least provide a good sense of humour about the whole thing, and sound damn good while doing it. Stay in the realm of pop music, Swift. To me, it's where you definitely belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment