Friday, November 21, 2014

Flashback Friday: "That's What Love is For" - Amy Grant (1992)

I don't know who this is.



When I think of 1992, I think of Kris Kross, Sir Mix-a-Lot, even Bryan Adams. But who the hell is Amy Grant?

From Wikipedia: She has been referred to as "The Queen of Christian Pop".

Oh... joy.

Well, as far as Christian artists go, I guess she's not bad. She could certainly be worse. But this song doesn't do much for me at all. I mean, this doesn't even sound Christian. Just vapid.

That's what love is for
To help us through it
That's what love is for
Nothing else can do it

Yay, love, good things, shiny happy people holding hands...

While the song doesn't do anything for me, though, I do get at least some enjoyment out of this bombastic, ridiculous early 90's video. With the weird red dress, and the awkward couple, and OH MAN, DAT GUITAR SOLO.

http://youtu.be/uLVV2TaI4Wo?t=2m35s

This is where God is found in this song. This is what makes this song Christian.

It's not a bad guitar solo, but it's so ridiculously out of place that it merely fits in with the weird choices of this song and video. That's what love is for, I guess. Finding things to love even in the darkest senses of madness. Hey, that's almost a deep quote. Thanks, Amy Grant! Boy, I should probably listen to Christian music more often...



Oh yeah, Creed. That's why I don't. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment