Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Secrets" - Mary Lambert

Hey, did you know that the wife of Blake Shelton has never had a Billboard hit?



Yeah, it's weird! I thought for sure that this was on the year-end chart last year... oh wait. Mary Lambert? Who's that again?



Oh, the "Same Love" girl. Okay, well it's true that she hasn't had a Billboard hit on her own yet. So maybe this'll be her first! This is called "Secrets".



Emanating from the veins of Sara Bareilles, Mary Lambert's newest hit appears to be your typical white girl piano pop jam on the outside. But it goes a little deeper than that, revealing Mary Lambert's insecurities about herself through song. Then she breaks free in the chorus, saying that she doesn't care if people know her secrets. The act of self-empowerment is strong here.

However, I just can't find myself any musical reasons to like this. I've never been a fan of the whole Sara Bareilles genre, and this is exactly what Mary Lambert sounds like to me. Except she doesn't go very far with the vocals. I get what she's trying to do, but it doesn't work for me. A mashup of styles that's a little too weird for my tastes.

But at least this song's trying to send a heartfelt message. It's been done before, but never, I think, so directly before. Mary Lambert just comes out swinging in the first line:

I've got bi-polar disorder
My shit's not in order

There's an element of respect I can give to opening lines like this. No pussyfooting around the issues of the song, just straight-up say it. Good for you, Mary. Good for you.

Hot 100 Success:

Will she have it?

In case no one has noticed, the Hot 100 as of late has been female-dominated at the top. Do they have room for another? Well, given the trends, I think Mary Lambert will do at least reasonably well with this song.

Should she have it?

Sure, I'll throw her a bone. Despite my personal non-preference of the musical choices she made, it's still an original song with great lyrics, which is something we rarely get these days. Count me on the Mary Lambert bandwagon for now. If she can knock Jason Derulo out of the Top 20, all the better. Seriously, he needs to go. Fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment