Tuesday, November 4, 2014

CanTunes Tuesday: "Giant in My Heart" - Kiesza

You know, somehow, Kiesza's "Hideaway" became popular without actually becoming popular.



What I mean is the video has accumulated over a hundred million views in the past eight months, yet the song has failed to crack the top 50 of the Hot 100. Oh, well. Here's Kiesza's latest entry on the Canadian charts, "Giant in My Heart".



This song, I feel, is a much stronger output than "Hideaway". While "Hideaway" has the tendency to become repetitive, this song has just enough going on with it that it doesn't evoke that feeling at all. "Giant in My Heart" also feels a lot darker and more realistic than "Hideaway". I actually feel authentic emotion I can connect to. And that raw emotion is just exemplified with this awesome music video.

The music video stars a man who feels overwhelmed and stressed by his everyday job, receiving no respect and no escape. That is, until he decides to put on a wig and dress to go clubbing with his friends. I like this video because it helps to normalize the idea of cross-dressing. It's no different than going bowling with your friends to blow off some steam. You do you, oppressed white-collar worker.

The tensions accumulate as he attacks these douchebags that keep yelling at him, and puts on his clothes to go out with his friends during the workday. The song doesn't quite have that level of climax, but it bounces throughout with this desperate-sounding tone.

What's the point of going through
All the pain I'm in with you
What am I supposed to do
In my heart there's only you
Baby I can't lose you

The song and the video tell different narratives, but they are unified by a central theme of feeling trapped, either by your own love or by pressures at work. Not being over someone isn't the most original of song topics, but the tone makes it work. So this song honestly has me excited for what Kiesza might come out with next. I kind of wish her popularity would fully cross over the border a la Drake and Carly Rae Jepsen, but if we're meant to keep her, then so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment