Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Try Me" - DeJ Loaf

It is so refreshing to see another female make her way into the male-dominated hip hop scene! I mean, who have we got right now? Nicki Minaj? Iggy Azalea? Uh... possibly Taylor Swift, I'm not sure? Regardless, it's time to move over, ladies! There's a new queen in town, and she goes by the name of... DeJ Loaf. I've heard worse names.



And that's true when it comes to this song, as well. It's not the best thing I've ever heard, far from it actually. But as far as my expectations for hip hop today are concerned... eh, it's alright. There are some weird-ass lyrics here that just get lost in the muddled verses:

I really hate niggas, I'm a Nazi

Uh... come again?

I really hate niggas, I'm a Nazi

Eh... there's probably a whole lot of hip hop culture that I'm missing here, like usual, so let's just forget about that one.

This song just kind of drones along, noticeably with the same vocal melody. Dadadada DA da, da da DA da... but at least DeJ's voice is tolerable, unlike this.



Or... this.



Do you see what I mean when I talk about lowered expectations?

So, as a whole, the song's pretty harmless, especially for today. It might be something that I put on to chill out...

Fuck around and I'ma catch a body

Or... not!

Yeah, despite the cool, calming tone of this song, it's actually really violent in its lyrics! That one lyric isn't an anomaly.

Leave a bitch nigga head in pasta

You think you're enjoying your delicious bowl of cheese gnocchi, but then, BAM! She shoots you and your head falls right into the pasta!

Turn your face into a pizza

Okay, come on now DeJ! I like Italian food! I don't want to be scared of it! This is a different kind of pizza nightmare than the time I ate those anchovy slices really late at night... but that's another story.

So, what's the story of this song? Well, it plays out like your typical modern-day hip hop song: meaningless violence. But this one also interjects personal connections to try and compensate:

I been out my mind since they killed my cousin
Free my cousin Devin man, he just called me

See, now it looks like we're going to get a little more personal about DeJ's family relations and...

All these niggas love me, can't get 'em off me

Or... not.

Look, I get that you're trying to fit in with the boys and brag about how much of a sex goddess you are... but you're better than that, DeJ. Or maybe not, this seems about par for the course from what I've heard. I don't know. So, does anyone want to hear about my pizza nightmare?

Hot 100 Success:

Will she have it?

I guess so. I mean, there's no reason she wouldn't. This certainly isn't worse than all the rap songs currently in the Top 50.

Should she have it?

I'd say no, but the violent lyrics over the calming tone kind of worries me a little for my own safety. So I'm going to go ahead and say "yes" instead. Make of that what you will, but I don't wanna be fuckin' around! Heads will roll... in spaghetti. And pizza. Don't eat anchovies before bed. Or at all, really. Gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment