Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Heroes (We Could Be)" - Alesso ft. Tove Lo

2013 was a year of Miley, bro-country, and controversy. But it was also the peak time for EDM.



For the longest time that year, critics of EDM have said that it sucked the life out of the guest artist contributing vocals to the song with its boring, bland, clichéd music style. But I've never really agreed with that... until now.



Tove Lo... what happened?

Remember Tove Lo? You should. Her song "Habits (Stay High)" went all the way to the Top 10 recently, currently sitting pretty at #4. And as you may recall on a previous Wednesday, I loved this song. I thought it provided an interesting take on the "party hard" lifestyle, and its success on the Billboard charts is exactly what I had hoped for.

But more importantly, it brought a new star into the mainstream with a lot of personality to show and give. All gone, thanks to the soul-sucking powers of EDM.

We could be heroes
Me and you

Is this even the same person? This sounds like... Sabi from "You Make Me Feel"! Or Nayer from "Give Me Everything"! Or literally any other forgettable female singer in the past few years! Tove Who?

I really, really hope this doesn't eclipse the popularity of "Habits", and thankfully I don't think it will, because this song is dull as shit. There's nothing new here that wasn't done with 2013's EDM. Hell, Pitbull was more innovative than this, and he ripped off "Take On Me"! All right, two Pitbull references in one non-Pitbull review are enough.

But you still get the idea. I've heard this sort of song a million times; I could listen to so many other songs that sound like this. I liked EDM in 2013, but it's best that it stayed there, because it did start to tire on me by the end of the year. And now we're here, with an EDM song that I absolutely hate for destroying an artist's personality. I think I've joined the masses of hatred. Feels nice, in a way.

Hot 100 Success:

Will he have it?

I think everyone is just as sick of EDM as I am, and that's why we haven't really seen any in 2014's chart history. I think it's safe to say that this one will not strike the chords of many hearts.

Should he have it?

Stay away from "Habits", you monster! Leave Tove Lo alone! Uh, no. No, he shouldn't. Thanks for listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment