Friday, December 12, 2014

Flashback Friday: "I Knew I Loved You" - Savage Garden (2000)

Ah, Savage Garden. When they weren't making honest-to-god catchy bangers, they were making... this.



Needless to say, I prefer the catchy bangers.

Although this song does have some merit. This line, for example, is hilarious.

I knew I loved you before I met you
I think I dreamed you into life

*snort* Yes, that's right, Darren Hayes. This girl did not exist before you imagined her. You created this wonderful being, which in turn, makes you a wonderful being.

Actually... can we go back to the first part of that line?

I knew I loved you before I met you

Before you came into my life I missed you so bad

Whoa. Whoa! So this is where Carly Rae got her inspiration from! In fact, I'm going to look that up right now...

Okay, so searching her on allmusic.com gives me no indication that Savage Garden inspired her. But... dammit, the line doesn't make sense either way. At least Savage Garden does try to contextualize it, albeit hilariously. This girl that Darren Hayes meets is his "dream girl", i.e. literally the girl in his dreams.

I knew I loved you before I met you
I have been waiting all my life 

Yeah, nice rhyming "life" with "life" there, bud. Other than that moment, this song really doesn't do anything for me. It's like "Truly Madly Deeply", except somehow even less butch.

I want to stand with you on a mountain
I want to bathe with you in the sea

Less butch than that, remember. At least he wants to climb a mountain in that one. This one is just... nothing, nothing at all. He says that she's the girl of his dreams, but there's nothing to indicate why. No description, and barely any emotion. You knew you loved her before you met her... why? Why did you love her? Can you answer that? If not, then what are you offering us? Little more than a blank slate!

I can tell that this song was made just so people would have a slow dance at prom. It's so vague and lovey-dovey that it makes me want to throw up. The only thing that saves it is that one hilarious line, but other than that? A total wash. Speaking of wash, I need to go check on my laundry, which I'm positive will prove to be more interesting than this song. Seeya.

No comments:

Post a Comment