Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Winter Wonderland Wednesday: "Mary, Did You Know?" - Pentatonix

You know what? It's the season of Christmas, I'm doing something different! Yes, welcome to Winter Wonderland Wednesday! Every Wednesday this December, I will be looking at a holiday song that made its way onto the Billboard chart! There's a lot to choose from already, but let's go with a song off of one of the most popular Christmas albums this year. This is "Mary, Did You Know?" by Pentatonix.


The weird thing about reviewing Christmas music is that you're almost certainly going to be reviewing a cover of a cover of a cover song. People don't typically make new Christmas songs, especially not today. So I need to judge the song on its own merit, and possibly compare it to other covers of the past.

So, the original song. This one is surprisingly recent, actually. First written in 1984 by Christian songwriter Mark Lowry, it has gone on to be a country song, a gospel song, and now an a capella song. So, how does this version hold up?

Well, I'm going to tell you something right now: I think that choir music is some of the most beautiful music you can possibly hear around Christmastime. ("Carol of the Bells" is one of my all-time favourites.) And no matter how small the choir is, there's a sense of harmony and togetherness when you hear a group of voices singing together. So, yeah. This song does it for me. It's a beautifully composed track, with everybody doing their part to add just the right tone to the song.

Man, I love listening to Christmas music! It must be because I love Christmas so much, but there is not a song out there that can dampen my mood!


...next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment