Tuesday, December 2, 2014

CanTunes Tuesday: "Soundwave" - R3hab & Trevor Guthrie

Okay, so this might be cheating a little in terms of what can and cannot be considered a CanTunes Tuesday segment... but as long as one of the performers is Canadian and not reduced to a "feature" credit, I say it counts. That performer is Trevor Guthrie, and he's here to tell you how great his backing music is, apparently.



Turn it up now, sending only good vibrations
A whole wall of sound crushing down all around
What a beautiful life

You're... really saying how great the song is in the song itself? Wow, I haven't heard a bigger ego trip since... well, when was the last time Kanye West spoke? Oh well, who cares. Does the song warrant an ego trip?

It's... pretty standard EDM, but I do like Trevor Guthrie's voice. So if he wants to sing about how great his voice is, I say let him. It's certainly not the first time an artist has tried to pat themselves on the back, and it won't be the last. So... yeah, carry on.

Oh, what a sound, raining down all around, you're a beautiful sight

Of course, an argument can also be made that the song within a song is merely a metaphor for how Trevor Guthrie feels about this person that he loves. And to be fair, it's not even the only metaphor used.

Come around, come around, make a wall of thunder
Be a spark in the dark, a tidal wave that’s ignite

Now I don't know how a tidal wave can ignite, but the point is that these lyrics can either be interpreted as Trevor Guthrie addressing a person or a song. After all, a song can be a beautiful sight... in a roundabout way.

Overall, I guess the song's okay. I'm not totally thrilled with it musically, but it's still got some interesting stuff going for it. But I remember Trevor Guthrie back when he was a member of soulDecision, and they had that great song in 2004 called "Kiss the Walls", and I'm totally losing you all, aren't I?

*sigh* Just enjoy this song for what it is, I guess. A look into the husk of a talented musician.

No comments:

Post a Comment