Sunday, December 14, 2014

"Lips Are Movin" - Meghan Trainor

Is it bad for me to say that I wish Meghan Trainor's lips would stop movin'?



Okay, let's look at this song: It's pretty much "All About That Bass" without the positive body message. Same tone. Same ear-grating vocals. Even the same lyrical structure, where about three or four lines change per verse but then you're essentially hearing the same thing over again, and why are you hearing the same thing over again, it's so tedious aaaaaggggh!

Uh... my stance on "All About That Bass" has fallen somewhat. I still think there are good elements of it. Some uplifting lyrics, legitimately nice singing. This... does not have as much of that.

If your lips are moving, If your lips are moving
If your lips are moving, then you’re lyin’, lyin’, lyin’, baby

Now, look. I get that not every song can have a positive message. And I wouldn't want that, anyway. I like a little sass with my music sometimes. I don't even have a problem with the above lyrics. They're a decent dis at this dishonest guy. But while I can take sassy lyrics, I can't take trite ones.

Boy, look at me in my face
Tell me that you’re not just about this bass

Oh, for... is this just a running joke for you now, Trainor?

I gave you bass, you gave me sweet talk

Do you literally have nothing else to offer than your "bass"? Do you think that your badonkadonk is the only reason why guys give you the time of day? Because... honestly, that's a little saddening. But that's all you give to us... well, other than this:

And I'm a classy girl, I'mma hold it up

Followed immediately by:


You're full of something but it ain't love

Ah, yes. Class to its full extent.

And the song just keeps on repeating itself... like, why? It's not like the cluster of lyrics she chooses to repeat are that good... well, not many of these lyrics are good. I admit the chorus is kinda fun to listen to, but I'll take "All About That Bass" over this any day. Meghan Trainor, if your lips are movin', then I hope they aren't singing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment