Monday, May 26, 2014

Monday Musings: Is Macklemore a Macklemoron?

Macklemore... you know I try to stick up for you. You know I know you're a good person underneath all the controversial politics, and you only mean the best for society through your lyrics and your presence. But... dear God.


This... what is this? And your defense is...


Uh... really? You couldn't have considered what that might look like? Macklemore, are you a Macklemoron?

Okay, to be fair, Macklemore did eventually do the honourable thing and apologize for his questionable costume. But the fact that he couldn't seem to see what people were so riled up about in the first place kind of makes me question his judgment. Sure, he's got "Same Love" to defend his principles and judgment, but this misstep has me baffled. How seriously am I supposed to take Macklemore, AKA the Thrift Shop Guy? Have I answered my own question by calling him the Thrift Shop Guy? Let's take a closer look.

On the one hand, Macklemore seems like a genuinely nice and fun guy who cares deeply about LGBT rights. You can't fault him for that, right?

Well, for some people it's not that clear-cut. A lot of people have accused Macklemore of being out of his depth and even exploiting the gay community for fame. Personally, I find it disheartening that a song with such a positive message, or if you don't believe that, at least good intentions, causes this much controversy. Why, just because it was made by two straight white guys? Where's the basis in that argument? Straight white people can't support LGBT rights? Whatever.

...and then he goes and does shit like dressing up like a stereotypical Jewish man and playing dumb afterwards, and I just lose my respect.

Maybe Macklemore is out of his depth with his socially conscious lyrics. Maybe I was wrong to put "Same Love" as my Number 1 song of 2013. But then I look at all the supporters that Macklemore has, and I feel like he is making an overall positive difference in the world today. He might not be the same, but that's not important. No freedom 'til yada yada yada.

So, overall, I still have some kind of respect for Macklemore. He's treaded some dark waters with racial politics, but I think he carries himself well through all the controversy and doesn't take bullshit. And that's something I can get behind. Macklemore, you're alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment