Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Latch" - Disclosure ft. Sam Smith

Well, let's just latch right on to some dance music.



This is "Latch", by British house duo Disclosure featuring vocalist Sam Smith. "Latch" has so far reached #57 on the Hot 100, gearing it to enter the Top 50. Disclosure is a fairly young duo, starting in 2010 and gaining commercial success in the UK in 2012. But "Latch", their first successful UK single, has also become the first single to make it fairly far in the Billboard hot 100 chart. A fame starter in two countries has to be good. Right? Right?

Well, I like it.

I'm not the biggest fan of dance music in general, as I don't really dance. But if a dance song sets a good mood, then yeah, I'm down to boogie a little. Just only in the comfort of my own room, with the doors and windows shut and blocked, where no one will ever see me. Ever.

"Latch" has a pretty simple message in its lyrics: a couple in love. (By the way, props to the video for including a lesbian couple. Good on ya.) The intimacy expressed in the music and lyrics is astounding. Sam Smith just sells it.

Now I got you in my space
I won’t let go of you

In the wrong hands, lyrics such as these may sound a little too possessive and/or rapey to be romantic or erotic. Thank God they didn't get Kristina Maria to do this song, am I right? Heh heh... I hate her so much. Anyway, "Latch" makes the lyrics work by expressing the same feelings from both people.

I’m so encaptured, got me wrapped up in your touch
Feel so enamored, hold me tight within your clutch 

Pronouns: Aren't you glad you studied them in school?

I'd be very happy if we got more dance music like this, and less Lil Jon exploitation.

TURN DOWN FOR WHA-

Yes, yes, Lil Jon. You've had your chance already. Well, let's get right down to the meat and potatoes. The fries and gravy. The bread and butter. The... is anyone else hungry?

Hot 100 Success:

Will they have it?

Disclosure and "Latch" feel like the dark horse artist and song this year. I'm going to say yes, they will have success. At least with this song.

Should they have it?

Disclosure seems smart enough and socially conscious enough that I'll give my blessing for their Hot 100 success. We could use more Disclosure music over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment