Monday, May 19, 2014

Monday Musings: Review of Ariana Grande's "Yours Truly"

Hey! Let's celebrate some decent music on the pop charts. Let's review Ariana Grande's Yours Truly.

Yours Truly was released in August 2013 as Ariana Grande's debut album, calling upon the likes of Babyface, Leon Thomas III, and Harmony Samuels to help produce it. Grande herself has described the album as a throwback to 90's R&B music in the first half, while the second half is completely original. So let's see what we've got here.

We start off with "Honeymoon Avenue", a longing song about getting things back to the way they were with her lover. Judging by the rest of the album, I guess they do, but this is a great song on its own merits. It sets the perfect mood with Ariana's voice and the production background. Of course, it nearly loses it at the end, with that ridiculous change in tone. But for the most part, it works. Let's go to the next song.

Next is "Baby I", a song that has an excuse to have minimal lyrics. Here's part of the chorus:

But every time I try to say it
Words, they only complicate it

Yeah, see? That's why the rest of the chorus is on par with Justin Bieber's "Baby" in terms of chorus lyrics... and nothing else. This track is fantastic. A perfect contrast to the longing tone that "Honeymoon Avenue" set. Just a fun, romantic song.

Next is "Right There", featuring Big Sean. Now I've never been the biggest Big Sean fan...



Something about him, I don't know. But I did like him on "Problem", and I like him here too. He provides a nice contrast to Ariana's loving, devoted tone, asking if she will still love him if he loses his riches. He goes a little too overboard with the "I'm not boyfriend material" thing:

A player too
You know I have some girls missionary
My black book of numbers thicker than the dictionary

Sounds like a real catch, Grande. Anyway, he does go a little over-the-top to the point of uncomfortableness, but it's not too bad. Of course, the star once again is Grande, who kills it with her sweet vocals. I feel like each song review is just going to be the same thing. We'll see if she gets a voice crack or something.

Up next we've got "Tattooed Heart", which, compared to the last two tracks, is really slow. But I think this was a smart move; we needed a slow song right here. I think the premise of the song is a little goofy, but there is something to it, what with the permanence of tattoos and how often people have to get them removed because they broke up with a girlfriend or boyfriend. And as per the norm for this album, Grande just sells it, proving she is versatile with her voice.

Next is "Lovin' It", which... sounds really familiar.



Not that this is a bad thing, not by a long shot. If you're going to bring back an awesome beat from 1992, then I'm all for it, as long as the song is changed enough to make it not sound like a total rip-off. And by being played in a higher key and used in a more up-tempo song, it does exactly that. I'm lovin' this. I especially like the parts in the beginning and end where she sings along with the beat. It's masterful.

Now we've got "Piano", and I think we're making our way into the non-throwback half of the album. And Ariana Grande doesn't lose focus either. In fact, the transition works extremely well, with the piano at the beginning playing similar chords to the beat on "Lovin' It". God, this album is almost too good. I haven't felt this positive about something in a long, long while.

Next we have "Daydreamin'", which is... do I really even need to say it? It's pitch-perfect. Definitely has that throwback feel, and Grande embraces it with her beautiful voice.

Now it's "The Way", Ariana's first single off of the album. And what a great introduction to the album this is. Honestly, I think we're back in throwback mode here, and I couldn't be happier. Mac Miller isn't exactly up to par with the production and Ariana's vocals, but he's not enough to destroy this song. In fact, having a subpar guest rap verse almost helps to bring up Ariana Grande, not that she needs it.

Now we have "You'll Never Know", and I think we're into the breakup part of the relationship. And it's a little too happy for me. This song could have been slowed down a little. There! Some criticism! Now keep reading!

Next is "Almost is Never Enough", featuring Nathan Sykes, and I guess this is what I wanted from "You'll Never Know". And hey, if you can make a singer from The Wanted sound soulful, you're definitely doing something right. Just like the rest of this album. Wow, this is too perfect.

And now we have "Popular Song", featuring Mika, who I thought died or something. But you can tell that this is the only song that Mika could have been featured on in this album. It's certainly the most poppy song on the album, which is fitting for the title. Wait... this is actually Mika's song featuring Ariana Grande. Well, either way it works to break away from the sadness of the last song. It's actually quite uplifting.

And finally, it's "Better Left Unsaid", which serves as a bombastic party anthem to contrast the sad tone of "Almost is Never Enough". You almost think the album's going to finish off on a sad note, but that's simply not the case, as the beat gets pumped up and it becomes a party jam. And it works, just like nearly everything on the album. Fantastic album. Absolutely fantastic.

Pop music lovers, go out and buy this. From beginning to end, this is a pop masterpiece, a throwback masterpiece, and a vocal masterpiece. The production on these tracks is simply stunning, and the transitions between songs are perfect. This positivity thing feels good. Maybe I should just review things I like. Then again... I like tearing things apart too. Better stick with my original niche.

If I have any criticism towards this album, it's that she could have picked better guest rappers. But they do provide adequate contrast to Ariana's perfection, so maybe it was on purpose. Who knows? Go out and buy the album to decide for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment