Sunday, May 4, 2014

"Sing" - Ed Sheeran

Ed Sheeran is back and... better than ever?



It's certainly different. The biggest departure I've ever heard Ed Sheeran take from his music. But is it better? Well, that's a question that can only be answered in the rest of this blog post. That's why you're here, isn't it? I thought so. Let's begin!

Ed Sheeran's mainstream success begins in 2011, where his first single "The A Team" blew up in the UK, selling over 58,000 copies in its first week. His success continued into America, when "The A Team" received radio airplay there and ended up becoming a hit there as well. And as far as his wild success in America goes... well, that's about it. None of his other singles have really caught on the way "The A Team" did, and it may have resigned Sheeran to one-hit wonder status.

Until now, with his new song, "Sing".

Okay, where did this come from? It completely flew under my radar, and now it's sitting pretty in the Top 20. And like I said, this is not your typical Ed Sheeran song. Possibly because Pharrell Williams played a huge hand in making it.



Yep, there he is. Pharrell's already cemented to become one of the biggest stars of 2014 (with his hat co-starring, of course). So to help write and produce a song for fading flame Ed Sheeran to boost him back into our minds seems like only the noble thing to do. This song shows us a whole new side of Ed Sheeran: The sexy side.

I need you darling
Come on set the tone
If you feel you’re falling
Won’t you let me know
Whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh

I've seen a lot of sides of Ed Sheeran. There's been the sweet, sensitive boy, the... sweet, sensitive boy, and... the sweet, sensitive boy. Actually, this is not only a whole new side, it's the only other side I've seen. So how well does it hold up?

It's an okay song, I guess. Pharrell's production and lyrics really shine here, meeting every expectation you have for the man. The only problem is... Sheeran's reputation precedes him.

Specifically, his sweet, sensitive reputation and his sweet, sensitive voice. I'm just having a little trouble buying this, because despite the production and lyrics, Ed Sheeran's still singing this song. At some points he makes it work, but at some points it just falls flat. He doesn't have the right voice to carry a song like this.

That said, the song is extremely catchy and I do like Ed Sheeran. So I will give this song a pass. Just not one of my favourites of the year so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment