Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Come With Me Now" - KONGOS

So, who knew that the perfect way to pack a punch in a song was to add in an accordion?



This is "Come with Me Now", the #1 song on the Heatseekers chart right now. It is pretty damn awesome.

Let's take a look at this band, KONGOS. Who are they? Where did they come from? Well, they're the Kongos brothers, and they're from South Africa. There. That should clear things up.

KONGOS' debut album Lunatic was released in 2012, with their first single "I'm Only Joking" topping various South African charts. Then they re-released Lunatic in the United States in 2013, and, well, here we are now with "Come with Me Now".

Any lyrics of this song I feel are a moot point, since that song is riding on its bouncy melody and that catchy chorus. Lord knows I've had it stuck in my head for days before doing this review. I'm always happy to see a new rock band making it through, since rock music is pretty scarce in the pop charts these days. We could use a summer anthem like "Come With Me Now". It'd definitely be better than last year's "summer anthem", is all I'm saying.

But if I do look at the song's lyrics, I think they're dealing with a fear of being past one's prime.

I stood at this door before, I'm told
But a part of me knows that I'm growing too old

Part of that natural aging process would be not being able to do things you were once able to do, like party.

I tried to sell my soul last night
Funny, he wouldn't even take a bite

Looking at it this way, it's kind of a desperate-sounding song. The lyrics bellow "come with me now", and the singer sounds like he wants to, but may lack the physical capabilities to do so. It also deals with the agony of neglecting to face one's fears.

Afraid to lose control
And caught up in this world
I've wasted time, I've wasted breath
I think I've thought myself to death

It's about taking risks while you still can. It's about not being afraid of life. It's the perfect summer anthem, the more and more I think about it. So come with me now, to the final analysis.

Hot 100 Success:

Will they have it?

My prediction on "The Walker" was unfortunately a bust, so I won't hold my breath for these guys. But I still do think there is hope for them. They've been steadily climbing up the Heatseekers chart at this point. What's to stop them from entering the Top 50?

Should they have it?

If we're to have any fun this summer with the Billboard Hot 100, then yes. Yes they should.

No comments:

Post a Comment