Tuesday, May 26, 2015

CanTunes Tuesday: "Home We'll Go (Take My Hand)" - Steve Aoki + Walk Off The Earth

Okay, if it's charting, and the makeup of the artistry is at least half-Canadian, I'm gonna count it for this blog. So with that in mind, here's Steve Aoki and Walk Off The Earth with "Home We'll Go (Take My Hand)".


Aww yeah, there's the good electronic vibes that I know you were all craving from Walk Off The Earth. It's actually worth mentioning that there's an original version of this, and this is actually the remixed version. So I think it's only fair that in this review, I also compare the two. Here's the original.


You can tell right from the beginning that these two versions of the song were meant to give off different vibes. The original starts off with this folksy whistling, which prepares you for the banjos and whatnot. The remixed version starts you off with a blast of electronics, setting the tone for an EDM-laden remix. So how do these two tones affect the songs?

I think the first song is a lot more personable and relatable. It's still got that "everyman" feel to it, in that anyone could probably listen to this and not feel alienated, but it also seems to detail a more personal story, helped by its instrumentation. The EDM remix, on the other hand... it's just an EDM remix.

It's an okay remix, but remixing it into EDM kind of takes those personable and relatable qualities away and just turns it into something that you can dance to. I vastly prefer the original because it's more creative with its instrumentation and it feels like it means more to the listener. It's a song that has purpose other than dancing to it in the clubs. I don't hate the EDM remix, but it doesn't do much for me, either. Walk Off The Earth: better when not distilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment