Tuesday, May 19, 2015

CanTunes Tuesday: "Know Yourself" - Drake

Earlier this year, Drake released a self-proclaimed "mixtape" entitled If You're Reading This It's Too Late. Now, none of those songs have done terribly well on the charts, but the one that seems to be gaining the most buzz is "Know Yourself". So, let's take a look at it.


Now you might remember how I praised his 2014 song "0 to 100/The Catch Up", calling it the best hit song of 2014. This song... doesn't exactly grab me in the same way.

It's definitely not bad. It's got a lot of interesting components to it, and Drake seems to be high-energy on this track, which is always good to hear. But after such a powerful statement that "0 to 100/The Catch Up" gave me, I think it was only inevitable that anything Drake would release after that would underwhelm me.

Despite its high energy and its creativity, the song seems somewhat disjointed to me, like Drake's jumping around the track trying to find a tone. Which does work to the song's benefit in some sense, but isn't pulled off as well as it could have been. 

That said, if this is the direction Drake is taking, I'm all for it. I just hope the rest of his stuff is a little more refined and a little more focused. Or if not focused, at least cohesive.

No comments:

Post a Comment