Tuesday, May 5, 2015

CanTunes Tuesday: "Rule the World" - Walk Off The Earth

Okay, so now we've hit two artists in a row who are actually making it big on the Canadian charts this year! This is actually quite the milestone for 2015. It also gives me an opportunity to talk about one of the more interesting Canadian groups out there today, Walk Off The Earth.



I heard their song "Red Hands" in 2013 and I instantly fell in love with them. They seemed like just the band to bring a new, dynamic sound to Canada's field of artists, and I was excited to hear what they would release next! Then... this happened.



I suppose "Gang of Rhythm" isn't a bad song, but it really didn't do a lot for me, at least not as much as "Red Hands" did. The song seemed a lot easier to ignore to me than the previous one. Honestly, I wondered if they worked better as simply a cover band, because their covers really are stellar. But now here they are again with a song of their own, making it big on the charts. This is "Rule the World".



I honestly thought this song wouldn't work for me at the beginning. Its sound seemed really overdone to me. A generic pump-up anthem that offered nothing new or interesting. But then Sarah Blackwood's vocals kicked in. And holy shit, did the song start to justify its existence.

All in all, I think Blackwood is the glue that holds this band together, turning them from a band I like into a band I love. She's got the fire-in-the-belly passion that Lights gets in some of her songs, but also the raw vocals to back it up. I do like Lights, but moreso when she's crooning, not belting. Anyway, you really do have to work hard to justify lyrics like these:

I say yeah yeah yeah
They say no no no
They say slow slow slow
I say go go go

Like... are you trying to re-write Go Dog Go here? Yeesh.

But it works, and Sarah Blackwood makes it work. Honestly, the song isn't that great overall, but I can't help but like it because of Sarah Blackwood's vocals. They really justify this song for me. That's how I roll sometimes. One element can justify a whole song for me. It didn't work with "G.D.F.R.", but it worked here. So, I can say that I do like this song, and I am happy to see Walk Off The Earth on the charts again. Here's hoping they can utilize their many talents together and make even better songs to come!

They say no way, oh I'll say I'll rule the world

Well, you don't rule the world just yet. But I appreciate your enthusiasm! Keep that up, too. It's a good trait to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment