Sunday, May 17, 2015

"Hey Mama" - David Guetta ft. Nicki Minaj & Afrojack

All right now, who let David Guetta back into the recording studio?




Also, why does this sound nothing like David Guetta's music? I guess I can hear a little bit of him in it, but this is a stark contrast to his typical-sounding pop song. And I have to say... it's pretty good.

Yeah, I'm actually really enjoying this. Never before has Guetta put so much energy and effort into his music. Maybe working with Afrojack was just the spark that he needed. I'd cite Nicki Minaj as an influence too, but... well... that already happened. Twice. With mediocre payoff. So I'm pointing to Afrojack as the inspiration for the sudden burst of energy from Guetta that this track gives us. God damn, they should collaborate more often!

But now that I've talked about how I think this song is great, let's focus on where it falters: the lyrics.

Nicki Minaj has asserted herself as a feminist icon in the world of hip hop, and I say good for her! In such an under-represented genre of music for females, it's important for girls to have these influences. That's why the lyrics here... irk me.

Yes I do the cooking
Yes I do the cleaning
Plus I keep the na-na real sweet for your eating

Um... Rosie the Riveter this is not.

Where the hell did this come from? I guess I can sort of see how Minaj is asserting her dominance over other women, but it's a lot like Meghan Trainor was doing in "All About That Bass": Showing how good you are at pleasing men. That just doesn't sound like a very feminist attitude to me, and I'm surprised to hear this kind of tripe from Nicki Minaj.

I think she tries to redeem herself with a rap breakdown after the second chorus, but after we hear lyrics like "Yes I do the cooking, yes I do the cleaning", there isn't much feminist impact you can get after that. Also... there's no way that's her on the chorus. Who is that? Is that Rihanna?

No, it's Bebe Rexha, a singer who wasn't credited on the track. Wonder why that is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_Mama_(David_Guetta_song)#Background

Wow, what a load of horseshit.

Really, Guetta? You couldn't have one more name listed on the track because it might be too much for poor radio DJs to say? Well, screw you, douchebag! Not only did you have me thinking this was Rihanna, but you're stealing an artist's ability to showcase herself on a good performance! Man alive...

Business and questionable lyrics aside, I do like this song. Like I said, it's got an energy to it that I don't typically hear in Guetta's music. And sometimes raised expectations are all you need in order to embrace a song. While I can't fully praise it, I do think it's some of Guetta's finest work. Not that that's saying much. Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment