Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "June 5th" - Troy Ave

This guy just named his song after the date which he's dropping his album on. I've heard worse titles...?



Okay, so who is Troy Ave? Is it a street name? Well, since I'm not reviewing streets, I have to assume that this guy is an artist rising in popularity. And my assumption would be right!

Troy Ave has not had any Billboard success with his singles yet, but he is certainly a presence, with his last album reaching #47 on the R&B album chart. While not the greatest rapper I've heard, he certainly does have this aura of confidence about him that is admirable, especially for someone who doesn't have much success yet. 

Speaking about this song in particular, this beat is awesome. It's dark, but it's still enjoyable to listen to. The lyrics are nothing really too special. Standard brag rap about how tough he is and how much money he can spend. The only really interesting part about it for me is how it ends with him saying that his album will drop June 5th. I don't know if this is common practice, but I've never really heard a song promoting a future album before, at least none that I can remember. So that sets it apart.

This song isn't that great, but the beat is pretty cool, so I think it's worth at least one listen. I don't know how well Troy will do with his singles on the Billboard chart, but I wouldn't necessarily object to him getting success. He seems competent enough as a rapper and I can certainly think of worse ones that got popular.



Yeeeeaaaah. Troy Ave all the way over these guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment