Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "OctaHate" - Ryn Weaver

Okay, so the title for this one kind of sounds like a riddle. What do you get when you cross an octopus with seething contempt for humanity? You get... OctaHate! ...what?


Well, it's the title of a single by Ryn Weaver gaining in popularity. So who is Ryn Weaver? What is she like? Does she shop at Target or Wal-Mart? Hmm, perhaps these questions aren't very helpful.

Well, Ryn Weaver is a fairly new pop singer on the scene, getting her start in 2014 with her debut EP, Promises. That album spawned the single "OctaHate", which is just now gaining mass popularity. Can it keep the winning streak up? Well... let's see.

The first thing you notice about the song is that it's definitely going for that indie pop feel. With the drums and the otherwise light instrumentation, you can definitely tell that's where the song's headed. It's something I've heard a lot of times before listening to indie radio, but I don't hate it. In fact, I think it's charming. 

You might also notice that Ryn Weaver sounds a hell of a lot like Sia, but perhaps a poppier version of Sia.

You might also be wondering why this song is called "OctaHate". Well... keep wondering, because I have no idea. Seriously. There's no mention of "octa-hate" or even that much regular hate in the song. It's mostly just heartbreak. So, you got me, title. you got me.

Overall, the song does work for me. As I said, it's really nothing new that I haven't heard before, but for what it is, it's a nice entry into the world of pop music and I wouldn't even complain if it kept gaining more buzz. I don't OctaLove this song, but I certainly don't OctaHate it either. God, I'm starting to sound like those girls from Pitch Perfect.


Oh sweet Jesus, have mercy on my soul. God, I need to do some serious pondering about my life and choices. Thanks a lot, Ryn Weaver.

No comments:

Post a Comment