Sunday, May 3, 2015

"Post to Be" - Omarion ft. Chris Brown & Jhene Aiko

You know... Vine is becoming a lot more influential on the charts than I'd like it to be.



Yeah, see this, ladies and gents? This is Will Smith and Carlton dancing to the song I'm reviewing today in a Vine. I have not heard this song anywhere else except in Vines. Are vines the new method of getting our music? I sure hope not. A lot of stupid stuff goes on down there.

But if this is the route we're taking, then I have to go this route as well. It's part of my civic duty as a music reviewer on the Internet. That's right, we have civic duties as well. Okay, so here is the full song, "Post to Be", by Omarion featuring Chris Brown (blech) and Jhene Aiko.



Oh, and lest I forget, MUSTARD ON THE BEAT HOE!



Really? We've kept this guy around for 2015? Really? *sigh* Well, to be fair, this is probably one of his best beats. It's still distinctively Mustard, but it does go a bit of an extra mile to make the production sound bouncier and happier. Looks like he's finally learned how to do that. Good for him. Let's move on to the featured artists.

Before I do anything, let's look at the line that has made this song such an infamy on Vine.

I might let your boy chauffeur me
But he gotta eat the booty like groceries

Now, this line was actually inspired by Kevin Gates' Vines, where he admits on more than one occasion that he eats booty. Um... okay. Is that what the kids are doing these days? Well, anyway, Jhene Aiko knew that in her part of the song, she had to say something about eating the booty, and to come up with a soft rhyme for "post to be", we get

Eat the booty like groceries

And you know what? Listening to it in context, I honestly don't mind it. Now that I know that it's partly homage, it strangely makes it better for me. That, and it's just nice to have a female presence on this song. Helps to break up the monotony and the subject matter somewhat. Yeah, Jhene Aiko's part is surprisingly my favourite part of the whole song.

And the rest of the song honestly isn't half bad, either. I mean, it doesn't really say anything intelligent or groundbreaking - Jhene Aiko's part is the closest that comes to that. And Chris Brown kind of kills the vibe for me just by being Chris Brown. I know it's not really fair to him, but the guy's created such a stank of douchebag in his persona that it always manages to seep into his music, and I always end up cringing at the end of it all. However, one of DJ Mustard's best beats helps to liven up the mood of the song, making it an enjoyable listen most of the way through. And I really do think Jhene Aiko's part is a breath of fresh air in the song, especially following Chris Brown.

So, yeah. The "eat the booty like groceries" song? It actually gets a thumbs up from me. Not a perfect thumbs up, but you know, it's there. Who would have thought? Maybe Vine should be more influential on the charts.



Maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment