Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Here Comes the Thunder" - Tim Hicks

As I look at the Emerging Artists chart, I find a whole bunch of different things that are trending on Twitter for whatever reason. For example, this song that we've got today is a Canadian country song from about a year ago. So I'm honestly not understanding how this chart works. I'm gonna find out.

So essentially, the chart works by taking artists that have a relatively low following on Twitter and following which songs trend the most on Twitter. Because when I want to discover a new artist, the first place I go to is Twitter. Ah, whatever. It's as good a barometer as any. So, Tim Hicks!


Man, I gotta tell you, there's something about this song that I just like. I think it has a lot to do with the title of the song, actually. "Here comes the thunder." Shit like that commands your attention, much like an actual thunderstorm.

And there's something about the way this guy sings that just creates a presence swallowing up everything in the room when this song is on. You see, for the last little while, there's been no edge to country music. Country artists haven't demanded you to listen to them, mostly because a lot of country music has mixed with pop music and it's all turned to sludge. So I gotta tell ya, I definitely miss country songs like these. "Here comes the thunder." I want this lyric to define a new generation of country music, or at least bring an old one back.

It's been a really long time since a country artist has commanded my full attention, but Tim Hicks has definitely done it. This is how you get down with the honky tonk. This is country music! Bravo, Tim Hicks. So, I'm thinking that Canadians seriously need to show Americans how this country music thing is done... and in some ways, that just sounds pathetic. Oh well, I'll take the publicity for my country anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment