Sunday, June 7, 2015

"Bad Blood" - Taylor Swift ft. Kendrick Lamar

Taylor Swift has just gotten knocked off the #1 spot by "See You Again", which has apparently gained back enough popularity to take the #1 spot again.

Okay, I need to say this:



I defended this song in my initial review for it (you can go back and read it if you like), but god damn, is it boring. I mean, I kind of alluded to that in my review. I did say that these tribute songs have a knack for being slow and morose. But then I got back to thinking about my top 10 tribute songs list, way back in the day. And at the very top of that list, I put "Back on the Chain Gang".



Now there's a tribute song done right. You don't have to be slow and meandering for it to work. You can still be lively. In fact, that's why this song really works. Despite being about the death of a former band member, it doesn't feel like it has to slow the tempo down or be a complete downer. Not that "See You Again" is a complete downer; in fact, it has a very hopeful tone. But the two are just incomparable in their energy, their sound, and my interest in them.

Sorry, I just... I really had to get that off my chest. I treat these songs with kid gloves and I end up regretting it. Anyway, where was I?



Ah yes, "Bad Blood" by Taylor Swift featuring Kendrick Lamar. A duo I never thought I would see before the release of her album 1989. Now you just look at it and think, "Yeah, sounds about right." Next she'll probably be pairing up with Kanye, and I don't mean just at an awards show either. But I digress. What's the song about?

Cause baby now we got bad blood
You know we used to be mad love

Here we go... just when you think that Taylor Swift has evolved in her lyricism, she goes and releases a song like this that can essentially fit into her earlier catalogue lyric-wise. I mean, listen to this:

So take a look what you've done
Cause baby now we got bad blood

Look what YOU'VE done. Not her. YOU. Look Taylor, you can't write a song like "Blank Space" and not expect me to come up disappointed when you throw shit like this in my face. I mean, come on! You totally should have been thinking about me when you write this.

Another thing: I support Taylor's decision to go all pop and abandon her country roots, but that's because the singles she released before this were good pop music. This just sounds... disjointed and awful. I've actually heard the original version of this song, and good god, it's a zillion times better than this production. It's like they tried to make it more badass but forgot to make it good.

The only saving grace for this song is Kendrick Lamar, who ends up slaying on the track with his flow. Which, might I add, works a hell of a lot better than Taylor's whining on the chorus. Again, her verses in the original song help to provide a counterpart to that, but here, it feels like a Kendrick Lamar song featuring Taylor Swift. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but for one of the biggest music stars right now, T-Swift should be holding her own in her songs.

Maybe I'm just biased against this because I heard the original, but yeah, I really am not liking it all that much. Kendrick's presence may help the remix, but the original trumps this in every single way. Guys, buy a copy of the album and listen for yourselves. The difference is staggering. Taylor Swift, your songs are fine the way they are now. They don't need remixed versions.

No comments:

Post a Comment