Tuesday, June 2, 2015

CanTunes Tuesday: "Energy" - Drake

Okay, so another one of Drake's songs off of his new album has been gaining buzz on the Hot 100. It's called "Energy", and honestly it's a lot stronger of a song for me than "Know Yourself", even though you could argue it's more formulaic.




I have to admit, I'm really enjoying the spoken word intros of these songs. I also enjoy Drake's music when he has sadder, slower beats behind him. This one doesn't pack as much of a punch as "0 to 100" did, but it's enough to set the mood of the song, which deals with Drake talking down his haters the way they talk down him. I think Drake is actually getting better at complaining, strangely enough.

Seriously, think about it: In "Started from the Bottom", Drake's biggest complaint about his previous life seems to be 

Traffic on the way home

Yeah, that. But here, he goes into more energy and thought regarding his past and the people that have tried to bring him down. And I guess I wouldn't call it "complaining" so much as an affirmation of one's self-worth. Definitely nothing wrong with that, especially when you've got people trying to bring you down like Drake does. People like me, I guess. Hey, I'm on your side this time, man. Don't go directin' this hate towards me.

Fuck your blog

Yeah, I still have my eye on you, Towkio. You blog-hating miscreant.

But like I said, I think "Know Yourself" is the more creative song. This one's just more aesthetically pleasing to me. It seems more focused and more controlled. I'd probably listen to this track over "Know Yourself", but both are good. I can't wait to hear what else comes from Drake's new album! And that's a sentence I never thought I would type. Seeya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment