Tuesday, June 30, 2015

CanTunes Tuesday: "Bungalow" - Scott Helman

This is "Bungalow" by Scott Helman. I like it.




The song's got a lot of Shawn Mendes in it, but it also has a lot of influence that I do like. I definitely hear a bit of indie rock and folk rock in this, especially around the chorus, and I like what I.. okay, take a look at this for a second.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/6316647

That is just the corniest thing. I don't care whether I like the song or not, that is just cheesy to the max. But anyway, I do like the song. Honestly, there's not much separating it form a Shawn Mendes song, but the stuff that is works for me big-time.

First off, the song has a pulse. Thank god for that. The verses and chorus don't meander; the song actually takes you on a journey, something music should definitely do. Secondly, it's got some interesting instrumentation. As I said, the song sounds very indie and folk rock-influenced, and you can definitely tell from the banjos in the chorus. Hellooo, Mumford & Sons.

But it's not just a ripoff of that sound. It meshes the pop idealistics of Shawn Mendes and the folksy instrumentation of Mumford & Sons to make it its own thing. And that's pretty damn awesome. Is it my favourite Canadian song of the year? No, not since we've had this and this. But it's certainly better than a lot of stuff I've been hearing this year up north. Hey, it even gives me a little bit of hope. Good job, Scott Helman. Don't fuck this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment