Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Special Affair" - The Internet

I think that R&B these days needs more slow jams. As is, the most we can get right now is maybe the occasional track from Usher. So if you're looking to win me over with a song about a one night stand, well, what can I say? You have me.


This song isn't exactly deep. It pretty much details what I just said: a one night stand. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but even the lyrics don't dive into the subject matter that deeply. It's basically just "let's bone".

But it's the mood of the song that puts it in my good graces. Like I said, we need more slow stuff from R&B and this song has just the medicine. This is a slow, sultry jam that really delivers with its instrumentation. I think I would have liked to see it go a little further, but it's honestly trying to set an interesting tone for the song, something I haven't been seeing lately. So maybe lowered expectations are playing a part in my thoughts. Whatever. I hope the best for this group. They haven't gained much popularity yet, but I hope they eventually do, maybe with a more accessible song that's a little more upbeat. Or hey, maybe this one could become a surprise hit. You never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment