Sunday, June 28, 2015

"Fight Song" - Rachel Platten

Empowerment! Overcoming struggles! Fighting for yourself! It's all right here in "Fight Song" by Rachel Platten.



Yes! Notice how Rachel Platten just does not give a fuck about the world around her trying to bring her down! Listen to those inspired lyrics, where she strongly proclaims "This is my fight song! Take-back-my-life song!" ...huh.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/6303294

Yeah, I'm sorry. I just hear a lyric like "Take-back-my-life song" and my mind immediately reverts to "Manic Monday". But that's my problem, not Rachel Platten's! So let's not let that take away from just how inspired and inspirational this song is!

...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yeah, chalk this one up in the "not trying hard enough to be inspirational 'inspirational' song" category. I mean, seriously. Take out the drums and this could be a lullaby. And that's simply not what the song should have been going for!



I don't know what's up with these artists that think that they can sound however they want just so long as they have "inspirational" lyrics to go along with it, but it's a music trend that needs to stop dead in its tracks. Why? Because it makes for terrible, boring music. Honestly listen to this song and tell me if it makes you feel more inspired. If it does... great! But for me, it doesn't do a thing.

I give credit that "Fight Song" might be trying a little harder than its competitors - it's got the woman screaming "HA!" in the background or whatever, I guess that's some kind of rallying battle cry - but the fact is, the instrumentation is still too weaksauce to justify any kind of inspirational or empowering message. Let me tell you something: If your song can be played on an adult contemporary station without much fuss, then you need to try harder with your empowerment anthem.

Man... I guess there's a place for this stuff in the pop world - I suppose 50-year-old ladies need to feel empowered too - but it's not for me, and I'm not buying it. Hell, Twisted Sister sounded more empowering than this, and that lead singer looked like a Raggedy Ann Doll with a botched makeover. Sorry people. I have a feeling a lot will like this song, but don't count me among one of them. It's too weak and it's too forgettable. Perhaps Rachel Platten should fight for a better song to define her artistry.

No comments:

Post a Comment